Friday 6 January 2012

Use It Up Challenge Day 6

I've spent a goodly portion of today in the kitchen.  :o)

Last night I put some beans in to soak overnight to make Boston Baked Beans, a much loved recipe from a Rose Elliot cook book.  The original recipe is cooked in the oven but I like to do them in the slow cooker.

The recipe uses haricot beans, the usual bean for baked beans, but I started with butter beans, black eye beans, red kidney beans, black beans and cannellini beans.

Post soaking hence the whiter beans looking purple!
I adjusted the recipe slightly as I had no dry mustard so I made them smoky beans by using smoked paprika and also added a splosh of apple juice as I had it to hand and thought more liquid was needed!

Yum!
On the UIUC front I've crossed a few items off my list today as well.  :o)  The list is in this post.

Ginger destined for the Treacle Ginger Cake.
 I've been wanting to make a Treacle Ginger Cake since Christmas and finally got around to it today!  It's a Nigel Slater (I think!) recipe from an old Sainsburys magazine. It involves black treacle, dark muscovado sugar and stem ginger and is just delicious! Even better is that it improves with age, I've put half of it in the freezer.  :o)  I've made it a few times before but for some reason this time it hasn't turned out as dark as usual.  I'm not sure why, possibly the sugar wasn't as dark as usual?  No matter though as it tastes as good as ever!  :o)   

I also made a Ploughman's Loaf in my breadmaker.  The recipe is from the booklet that came with the breadmaker and uses apple juice and Branston pickle.  Having no Branston but plenty of chutney I substituted caramelised onion chutney instead of the pickle.  :o)  Haven't had a taste test yet but it's quite a mountainous loaf!  Lol

For dinner this evening we had home made pizza, using scone dough, with potato and sweet potato wedges.  The pizza was a bit of a cheese feast jobbie as I used up a variety of small pieces of cheese from Christmas! 

All in all a good foodie day!  :o) 

   

No comments: