Saturday 1 January 2011

New Year, Renewed Blogging!

It's been a while since I've blogged in a foodie manner and here I am set to pick up the reins as we gallop into 2011.  ;)

For dinner this evening we had slow cooker macaroni cheese, a dish we usually have at some point over the festive period.  I can't remember just who I got this recipe from, otherwise I'd credit them, but it was via one of the Yahoo groups I used to belong to.  You need to get over the fact that it's not really akin to "real" macaroni cheese made with cheese sauce but it has a charm of it's own.  Made as per the recipe it has about 300 calories per portion - if divided into four portions which is really a quite generous portion.  So, the recipe...

From this...
...to this!

Slow Cooker Macaroni Cheese

2 cups uncooked macaroni
2 cups cottage cheese
2 cups grated cheese
2 cups boiling water

Layer first three ingredients into slow cooker.  DO NOT MIX.  Pour the boiling water over and cook on high for three hours.  Stir very well and serve.


That's all there is to it but, true to form, I do tinker with the recipe a little!  I often make it with milk instead of water, just heat it up before pouring it in.  It can be a bit clarty so if you like it a bit more saucy add another half a cup of liquid.  It doesn't look very pleasant when it's cooked but perks up no end after a good stirring!To add a bit of variety, cottage cheese with onion and chives or other flavour is nice.    This evening I served it with some grilled bacon and a speinkle of extra grated cheese.  ;o)

No comments: