Friday 14 May 2010

Baking and Basics

 

Yesterday I was in need of some seriously therapeutic baking time so I set to in the kitchen and made some iced fairy cakes for starters.  Nothing special about them except that I used these pansy icing decorations.  I'd like to say I knocked them up in a spare few moments but alas I didn't!  They were sent to me recently in a baking swap I participated in on Swap-Bot.  I rarely buy this sort of thing but it was fun to use them for a change.  My buttercream was meant to be a nice coordinating bluey purple but it went a bit awry!  They've gone down well though despite my lackadaisical icing attempt!  ;o)  
 
 
 
Then I made some Builder's Tea Bread from Mary Berry's book, One Step Ahead.  This is a nice simple recipe (albeit involving overnight soaking of dried fruit so not one for spontaneous baking urges!) and I had some Earl Grey leaf tea to use up from the pantry so my fruit was all plumptious from it's overnight sojourn in the brew.  This makes a huge loaf and always takes longer to bake than the hour mentioned in the recipe.  I think it would probably fare better in two smaller loaf tins or a larger rectangular tin.  It freezes like a dream and I always bung half in the freezer to prevent us gobbling it down in a flash!  It's fatless too so is quite kindly in the calorie stakes as well.



Earlier this week I came across a blog called A Year of Inconvenience.  Blogger, Pam Mehnert, is giving up convenience food for a year and cooking everything from scratch.  How inspiring is that?  I think it's a fantastic project and I will be following Pam's progress with interest.  I decided several years ago to reduce the amount of processed food we eat and have had a goodly amount of success I would say, although it is very easy to slide back into the convenience food trap sometimes!  Reading some of the posts on Pam's blog has made me question what I term basics foods when cooking from scratch.  She mentioned making pizza sauce using fresh tomatoes and I realised that I think of tinned tomatoes as a basic ingredient when in fact they are, of course, processed!  And, frozen peas!  I love frozen peas and never considered them a processed food!  I'm sounding a bit odd methinks!  lol   Anyway, rambling aside, the blog (along with something of a fincancial doldrums episode) has prompted me into one of my periodical "use it up" missions!  This entails using the ingredients I already have in my fridge, pantry and freezer as much as possible and only buying essentials when I need to.  I've had a Quorn Roast in the freezer for a while (I have to admit that I quite like Quorn even though it's processed!) so I hauled it out for dinner this evening.  I wanted to have sage & onion stuffing with it but had none of the packet variety in the pantry so I found a recipe for it in one of my favourite vintage cookbooks.  As you would suspect it involved onion, breadcrumbs, sage, salt and butter.  With my usual disregard for recipes, I didn't follow the method entirely as written but it was jolly tasty!  Even my daughter, who loves the packet variety of stuffing, ate it all up and enjoyed it!  ;o)  While I was waiting for dinner to cook I had a rummage about in the pantry seeing what I had available and decided to make some muesli as we're quite low on breakfast cereal (husband's daily breakfast is always cereal).  I used millet flakes, oats, plain puffed rice, pumpkin & sunflower seeds, mixed nuts, raisins, currants and dates.  I was busking it with no recipe so I will await husband's verdict in the morning!  I have to say that cooking from scratch and improvising with available ingredients is a real blast for me, I love the challenge and culinary creativity.  Let's do it!  ;o)  

No comments: