Tuesday 23 March 2010

Spring has Sprung!


Well, as far as I'm concerned it has!  ;o)  Yesterday morning I sat outside eating my breakfast!  Ok, it wasn't tropical, 11 degrees I believe, but it was very pleasant in the sunshine in the sheltered corner I chose to park myself with my oatcakes and peanut butter.   I took the above pic of miniature Narcissi after breakfast, they looked so cheerful bobbing about on the gentle breeze.  ;o) 

I have oatcakes on my mind today, I'm off to a friend's later for a baking day (yay!) and I'd like to make some oatcakes.  I rummaged about and found several recipes I've never tried, some given to me and one torn from a magazine, and without fail they all include flour in their ingredients!   Now, call me pedantic, but I was under the impression that oatcakes were wheat free!  I trotted off to my pantry to check the packet I have in there and was relieved to find that they do indeed only contain oatmeal (with sunflower oil and salt), not a speck of flour in sight!  Now, I love baking and don't have an aversion to flour, nor am I intolerant of it but I do feel an awful lot healthier when I restrict my bread intake.  I will never be able to forgo bread totally, I do love it so but I do try and keep a lid on it so, I eat alot of oatcakes, which fortunately I also love, and thought if I could find a good home made version I can make them in bulk and stop buying them.  Always happy to reduce how much I line the supermarket's pockets!  ;o)  I need to have a better root through my cookery books and see if I can find any oats only versions.  


Last week I made another recipe from the Anyone Can Bake book I made Butterscotch Pie from recently.  This time it was Peanut Butter Bread and jolly nice it was too.  ;o)  I don't have a picture as it disappeared a bit too quickly!  lol  The picture shows something green in the sandwich, not sure what that is but I think it's definitely better with sweet things as a filling, it's lovely with jam.  ;o)

 

One day last week I made macaroni cheese for dinner, yummmmmmm, I love cheesy things!  ;o)  I don't make proper macaroni cheese very often so we all fell on this and romped our way through it happily!  I'm currently teaching my daughter lots of new things in the kitchen in preparation for when she goes to university this year and cheese sauce is one she wants to learn.  I don't know why some folk make such a fuss about making white sauces, I learn from Delia and have never had trouble, I just wield my whisk and away I go!  ;o)  With a basic white sauce under your belt you can make loads of variations of it and never be short of a dish to make.  My daughter loves pasta and I can see her living on macaroni cheese once she has the sauce down pat!  ;o)

Lastly, a little wander through a recent spell of guiltiness on the ethics front!  I hate waste, I love using leftovers creatively and try not to let anything usable get past me and into the bin!  However, last week I had a few busy days and at the weekend on deciding to sort through stuff in the fridge I discovered various things that even I couldn't save.  ;o(  Some went into the compost bin but there was other stuff I just to bin and it really pains me to confess to it.  Mind you, since I'm just chuntering to myself here it's just me I'm actually confessing to!  I try to be ethical, anyone who knows me knows that I'm a green kind of girl but I know have BIG holes in my ethics sometimes, boo.  ;o(  They need rectifying and I'm always on the case.  I've let my meal planning slip a tad of late and I need to get that sorted.  I feel a more in depth blog post on this coming on but for now I'm off to bake! 

Happy Springtime!  ;o)

No comments: