Tuesday 6 October 2009

Funny fish and kitchen goings on

River cobbler......who's heard of that?  I certainly hadn't when I spied it in the fish section in the Devil's Supermarket a while ago.  I wanted smoked haddock but the shelves were bereft of it so with a bit of daring do I plumped for giving smoked river cobbler a whirl instead.  When I got home I was really cross because I then spotted that it was from Vietnam!  I have nothing against Vietnam but I do have a thing about the air miles that food travels and had I realised earlier I wouldn't have bought it.  So, I lobbed it in the freezer in disgust and there it languished until this week.  I used in a rice dish with some veg and topped it with hard boiled eggs, none of us were keen on it's "fishiness", if you know what I mean, and I wasn't struck on the texture much either.  I wouldn't buy it again but I was interested to know what it was so after a bit of a Google I discovered that Pangasius Hypophthalmus, as it said on the packaging, is iridescent shark catfish.  You live and learn!  ;o)

As I type I have some little chocolate buns cooling on a rack and I shall be going to ice them when I finish rambling here.  I'm thinking of making some icing that features maple syrup since I have some in the fridge to use up.  ;o)  Elsewhere, I have made lentil & bacon soup this morning, using up the four bacon rashers I had lurking in the fridge and red lentils.  I'm holding out as long as possible before I cave in and put the heating on so a nice warming soup for lunch will be good!!  I've also cooked up the pile of home grown tomatoes I had and bunged them through the sieve.  The resulting passata will probably morph into pizza topping with the addition of onion, mushroom, carrot and a few herbs. Might be pizza for dinner today then!  ;o)  I've also chopped up the kale (which patently isn't kale but I can't work out what it is!) to blanch and stick in the freezer.

I neglected to mention a few things yesterday in my yawningly long food list....I have eggs ~ I always have eggs since we have chickens ;o) ~ and cereal and bread.

No comments: