Sunday 20 September 2009

Pantry Passion

I make no bones about it, I love my pantry!  It was a long time coming and was worth the wait as far as I'm concerned!  Bit of background for you....I live in two former railway cottages which we've knocked into one.  The half we lived in originally had been treated to lots of "improvements" but the newer half was pretty much original when we took it on.  The opposite number to what is (at least for the moment) my airing cupboard was originally a pantry.   Having always operated in a small fitted kitchen I couldn't wait to have my very own pantry.  It was finally completed last year and I have loved it with a passion ever since.  ;o)  This week we repainted the pantry walls, after a slight issue with mould last year left some horrid marks in a few places, and I thought I'd share a few pics now it's all up and running again. 


My pantry door.  ;o)  I picked up the shabby but lovely fingerplate at the local junk shop and knew it would work perfectly for the pantry.  My lovely brass pantry sign was made by my husband (he worked as a etcher) as a surprise Christmas present when I was in plaster after breaking a bone in my foot.

                                    

We wanted to re use the original terracotta tiles from the pantry and I love the way they look.  They vary in colour and the floor isn't perfectly level but they are perfect in my eyes!




My meat safe was in the pantry originally and I wanted to keep it.  It needed a bit of repair and sprucing up with a lick of paint but it's a sturdy fella an holds lots of tins, jars and packets.  The wire crate next to the meat safe came from my father in law's and acts as my bottle store!  Sloe gin, home made wine, ruby port, grenadine and more.....yum!

                                   

A view of the bottom two shelves.  I'm working on collecting interesting tins and glass jars.  You may have guessed by now that I want a vintage flavour to my pantry.  ;o)  The cream and green enamel bread bin  belonged to my great grandmother (known as Big Nanna).

                                     
 
The top shelf here is mainly baking ingredients - did I mention I love baking??  The enamel sugar tin was inherited from my mother in law and I found the matching flour tin at a car boot sale.  The Radiance Toffee tin was a recent 50p bargain!



Look I have space on the top shelf, wonder how long that'll last?!  The middle shelf here houses lots of grains and pulses in Kilner style jars. 

                                     

                                    

A couple of closer shots of the tins.  The cake patterned tin was a recent junk shop find, full of sewing stuff!

                                                 

And lastly a shot of one of the glass jars that we've been experimenting on with a labelling idea.  My husband came up with the idea of trying blackboard paint on the jars so that I can use chalk on them and change them as and when I need to.

There we go, a whistle stop tour of my pantry!  ;o) 

2 comments:

Sheilagh said...

Ooo....Nigella Lawson eat your heart out!!!

I love it, I am so envious I am a paler shade of green.

Fat[free]Me said...

Oh, it is just perfect! Love it!