Tuesday 22 June 2010

Feeling the pinch but not losing the flavour!

So, like many others, we find ourselves in a pretty unpleasant place financially speaking, boooooo!  Without going into a long winded ramble about the whys and wherefores of it all what I will say is that our grocery bill is at least one of the places where I can attempt to make a few savings.  I know there will have to be compromises and that's fair but they will have to be made working around my odd views!  ;o)  With a few exceptions, the meat I buy is always organic and I'm not prepared to make compromises on that one.  I'd rather eat smaller portions of organic meat and more vegetarian fare (which I love!) than buy cheaper non organic meat.  At the first day nursery I was cook for they used to make me use value mince and if that's not a crystal clear example of a false economy I don't know what is!  Other than meat I buy organic butter, milk and fruit & veg.  I usually try and buy organic flours and sugars, Fairtrade tea and coffee and other stuff as well but I may have to be alot more selective for a while. 

I've posted before about my self imposed pantry challenges where I try and use up stuff from my pantry and freezer rather than buy new and I'm embarking on another bout now!  I like a challenge and I especially like a foodie based challenge.  ;o)  So, you can expect tales of leftovers and inventive concoctions!  ;oD  Right now, I have a loaf of Courgette Country Grain Bread in my breadmaker, a recipe from Jennie Shapter's Ultimate Bread Machine book.  It's not one I've tried before but I had a courgette fading fast in the fridge that I didn't want to waste!  This morning I made a sugar free jelly from the pantry....yes, I know, I'm 44 but I love jelly!  ;oD  Lunch today will be home made smoked paprika veg soup and bought (well, it was 25p and I couldn't help myself!) cheese & tomato flatbread that have both been in the freezer for a wee while.  Haven't considered dinner yet but I have plenty of salad to use up along with bacon in the fridge so it may be home made potato salad (with onion and bacon) and salad.  ;o) 

Well, that was all rivetting stuff wasn't it?  LOL 

No comments: