Thursday 12 November 2009

Cake! Everybody loves cake!

A couple of days ago I rescued a pair of sad brown bananas, destined to be chucked out, from a friend's fruit bowl and yesterday evening I made Banana Ginger Cake from the Australian Woman's Weekly Cakes and Slices Cookbook.



Banana Ginger Cake

90g butter
2 tbsp golden syrup
1/4 cup caster sugar
1/4 cup brown sugar
1 egg
2/3 cup mashed banana (two bananas)
1 1/2 cups self raising flour
1/2 tsp bicarbonate of soda
2 tsp ground ginger
1 tbsp milk

Lemon Frosting
1 1/2 cups icing sugar
30g butter
approx 2 tbsp lemon juice
1/4 cup chopped glace ginger

Grease a 20cm ring pan, line with paper and grease paper.
Cream butter, syrup and sugars with electric mixer until light and fluffy.  Add egg and beat until combined then beat in banana.  Stir in sifted ingredients and milk.  Pour into prepared pan and bake in moderate oven 180 or gas mark 4)  for about 45 minutes.  Stand for 5 minutes before turning out onto wire rack to cool.  Spread cold cake with frosting and sprinkle with ginger.
Keeps for two days.

Lemon Frosting
Combine icing sugar and butter with enough lemon juice to mix to a spreadable consistency.
Ok, with my customary randomness I didn't entirely follow the recipe to the letter!  ;o)  I couldn't find my round cake tin so I used a rectangle one instead, probably about 10" x 6", consequently as it was shallower the cake only took 30 minutes to cook.  I mixed by hand as I don't have an electric mixer.  For the icing, I didn't have a lemon so I used lime juice instead and I didn't have glace ginger so I substituted stem ginger instead.  Creative baking in action!  lol  My husband had two slices of cake last night so that's a thumbs up from him!

No comments: